You are not connected. Please login or register

What do you wear to work?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1default What do you wear to work? on Thu May 01, 2008 10:11 pm

...if you don't wear a uniform, that is. Just thought this could be an interesting thread as a lot of us work in "grown up jobs" now and in some different environments. Plus I'm hoping to be employed ANY SECOND and I suppose I'm looking for ideas as well!

Clover " LET'S CALL THE NEW SITE THE H.M.S INDEPENDENT!" Spaghetti, who sits on the fence in the country looking at the cows as it rains, holding a big sign that says "I started the whole damn sea analogy, I came up with the name for this vessel, It's my goddamn party and I'll cry if I want to!"
View user profile

2default Re: What do you wear to work? on Thu May 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Spongebob_rox

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
Damn, I was about to go into an in-depth discussion about Coles uniform. But not really. I have nothing useful to add, except to say that "when I grow up" I want to work in the city in a big office building if only so I can wear business clothes. I LOVE looking at all the office-y clothes that they sell in Portmans and the Miss Shop at Myer and places like that.

[/end spam]

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/eagles4premiers

3default Re: What do you wear to work? on Fri May 02, 2008 5:04 pm

musicaddict

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
Well I wear a uniform BUT when I did work full time over the summer holidays I had to wear office clothes, not fun when you're not actually in an office all day but wandering the streets trying to sell Citibank but that's another story.

Office clothes are expensive, I used to wear high waisted pencil skirts or black pants to work and just a button up blouse and heels (though small heels on them). I would occasionally wear a knee length A-line black skirt instead of the high waisted one. I got cheap and used some of my high waisted pinafore into skirts and one is checkered and just wore a black 3/4 sleeve shirt. I only wear one shirts out of all the ones from work now and it's a shirt I bought in China just to wear with jeans and it's an actual guy shirts. Skirts above the knee where a no no at the office.

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/13131890

4default Re: What do you wear to work? on Fri May 02, 2008 5:20 pm

wednesday

Admiral
Admiral
!!! NATHAN USED TO SELL CITIBANK! But I think he sucked and he only lasted like 2 weeks. ANYWAY

View user profile

5default Re: What do you wear to work? on Fri May 02, 2008 8:22 pm

MissSussinator

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
Blouses, ranging from just basic white shirts to nice witchery blouses.

High waisted pants. High waisted skirt. Black pants. Other not so high skirt

Shoes... sometimes heels, normally ballet flats

View user profile

6default Re: What do you wear to work? on Fri May 02, 2008 9:36 pm

FeverChill

Admirals
Admirals
My general rule is no shoulders, no knees, no boobs.

*Pants: I generally wear black pants for most of the week. I have a thinner, wide-leg pair for summer and a thicker, tighter pair for winter.
*Skirts: Always, always below the knee and generally A-line.
*Blouses: At least quarter-arm length. There are some girls at work who wear cap-sleeves and it just looks unprofessional and gross, especially if they have bigger arms. Also, they are always completely covering my chest; cleavage at work is just wrong.
*Jackets/Jumpers: I wear a lot of cardigans and I have a green blazer that works well for work. I also have a black hoodie that I keep at work that I wear when I get cold at my desk. I feel really guilty about it but you have to let go at some point.
*Shoes: I try to wear heels 4 days a week and I wear flats on Friday (Casual Friday; I also wear jeans). I only have two pairs that are comfortable enough - black open-toed 4-inch high things from Zu and heeled shoe-boots.

It's taken me a while to build this up, though. When I first started I wore shorts all the time!

7default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sat May 03, 2008 12:31 am

MissSussinator wrote:Blouses, ranging from just basic white shirts to nice witchery blouses.

damn Witchery and it's expensive but bloody comfortable clothes!

8default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sat May 03, 2008 6:07 pm

macadamia

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
I wear uniform Monday to Thursday, consisting of THE sexiest high-waisted navy slacks, white blouses (quarter or three-quarter sleeve), blue and white striped blouse (three-quarter sleeve, makes me look like a Banana in Pajamas) and a tight-ish warm blue crossover top. I also have a navy merino vest that I can wear over the tops. And a navy jacket, very corporate, costs over $300. But that's okay, cos work pays for all our uniforms!

Fridays we are allowed to dress casually, but by "casual" what my boss really means is your own corporate wear, rather than company-provided. I don't often wear skirts, usually it's a combo of either black, grey or pinstriped pants with a blouse or clean attractive top. Hair is always straightened (or at least tidy), make-up always neatly applied, nails have to be clean and even and jewellery must be understated.

I would prefer office wear if I had total freedom; for example I don't see anything wrong with teaming a really clean-cut pair of good, dark jeans with a nice pair of boots, blouse and loose vest, but jeans are completely out of the question. My boss is just really old-school and a stickler for everyone looking "respectable"... she nearly had a heart attack the day I forgot to take a change of shoes to work and ended up spending the day in my Chucks. (I walk to work.) Oh, and the day she found me wearing black pants with my uniform instead of navy slacks - THE HORROR!

View user profile http://www.thenatashamaria.com

9default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sat May 03, 2008 8:19 pm

wednesday

Admiral
Admiral
Um... Do you have to wear make up? That would offend me, being asked to wear make up...

View user profile

10default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sat May 03, 2008 10:53 pm

FeverChill

Admirals
Admirals
I think what you have to wear really depends on whether or not you have contact with the public. I don't have any face-to-face public contact whatsoever, so I can get away with a lot more than people who spend all day interacting with clients/customers can. There are people that I work with that wear jeans, sport polos and crocs on a daily basis. I know the big boss though, so every now and then I get lazy and wear chucks, and she'll give me this look. I wear heels the day after that. Wink

11default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sat May 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Jen

Admiral
Admiral
i wear trakkies or jeans, t-shirts with disney charachters on them, jumpers or cardis and sneakers (i also put a change of shirt in my bag, just in case i get pooed/spewed/mess on the one i'm wearing)
YAY CHILDCARE

for the gym i have a uniform (t-shirt) and wear trackies and sneakers
and for the pub i have a uniform also (shirt) and i wear black jeans and ballet flats

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=653215984&ref=name

12default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 4:43 pm

macadamia

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
wednesday wrote:Um... Do you have to wear make up? That would offend me, being asked to wear make up...

No, we don't have to, I just sort of chucked that in there to note that when we do wear make-up, it has to be neatly applied.

I don't think being asked to wear make-up is offensive, depending obviously on the context. There are lots of jobs that do require you to wear make-up and it just goes with the territory - flight attendants, beauty therapists, some hairdressing firms ask you to as well. But obviously if your boss says, "Excuse me, I think you look hideous, PLEASE start wearing make-up to cover that face," then you'd be like, "Yeah? FUCK YOU"

13default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 4:59 pm

Klerr!

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
i wore socks that had cafe and latte and coffee and aroma written all over them to work today with my flats. I was cool.

View user profile http://www.sailor-klerr.blogspot.com

14default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 5:02 pm

What makeup does everyone wear to work? Because I was thinking I should learn how to apply basic makeup, but I'm talking pretty much bare minimum here.

Clover " LET'S CALL THE NEW SITE THE H.M.S INDEPENDENT!" Spaghetti, who sits on the fence in the country looking at the cows as it rains, holding a big sign that says "I started the whole damn sea analogy, I came up with the name for this vessel, It's my goddamn party and I'll cry if I want to!"
View user profile

15default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 5:52 pm

macadamia

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
If you're talking bare minimum, I'd suggest lip gloss, mascara, maybe a bit of Thin Lizzys. Foundation would be nice too, but you might find it a hassle.

16default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 7:53 pm

what is/are Thin Lizzys?

View user profile

17default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 8:01 pm

macadamia

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
Oh noes, maybe they don't sell it in Aussie!

It's a fantastic face powder, a bit like a bronzer, you just put some on and it... I dunno, just makes your skin look nicer. Smoother, nicer colour, etc. Packaging looks like this:

Spoiler:

If it's not available in Aus, I will 100% post you some.

EDIT: Oh and I should also mention, as per the infomercials, that it can also be used as an eyeshadow, lip gloss, foundation, all-body bronzer, ab-toner and blender.

18default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm

Oh, I have seen an informercial like that. It probably is available, I just don't know much about these things.

View user profile

19default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 8:45 pm

wednesday

Admiral
Admiral
WOW! So you can wear that stuff on it's own, sort of thing, and it just evens everything out?
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR
Thankyou Tash
Unless I'm wrong

View user profile

20default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 9:28 pm

FeverChill

Admirals
Admirals
I wear foundation, lipgloss & mascara. I don't use blush as I have rather "rosie" cheeks anyway, and I would do eyeshadow but I'm too lazy.

21default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 10:04 pm

T-diddy

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
AHhahahah thin lizzys.
Sorry. thats a tafe joke i think.

WHAT DO I WEAR?
Well. If i am in the pool i rock up to work in whatever takes my fancy, something usually warm, ugs, whatever. I wear swimmers, wetsuits, and A BRIGHT YELLOW RASHIE. Plus my flouro pink zebra baordies or the yellow ones, depending on my mood.
me: "Oh. Im meant to be going to a flouro themed party - reckon i could wear my rashie?"

Normal, dry canteen work? Royal blue pants, YELLOW shirt with blue waves on it and the logo. Jackets royal blue with bright orange.

I had a photo but its gone now.

Camp work? =] =] =]
we get shirts with the initials on there - TLC!! Smile

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/rocksteady7

22default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 10:38 pm

MissSussinator

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
I hardly wear makeup. Again no face-to-face contact and hardly any of the other women in my area wear makeup.

But then some go to the extreme and wear it caked on

View user profile

23default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Jen

Admiral
Admiral
errmm, i wear foundation most days, powder, blush, eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner and lipgloss...
it DOESNT look like a caked on mask, thank god. but i love doing my little morning ritual and i love making myself pretty, i even wear makeup to childcare....
vain?

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=653215984&ref=name

24default Re: What do you wear to work? on Sun May 04, 2008 10:52 pm

alexandra.

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
I go to school so it counts! Maybe.

To school I wear blush, and Lipsmacker.
If I'm seeing teh Scott after school sometimes foundation, depends how crap my skin is.

Eye makeup + Scouts = Horrid, so I tend to steer away from it.
Euuurrrgh so many girls with panda eyes...

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/xalex_raymondx

25default Re: What do you wear to work? on Mon May 05, 2008 8:38 am

macadamia

Boat Bitch
Boat Bitch
Haha Jen, no, I don't think that's vain... just careful! Tons of women wear make-up every day, even if they're just sitting at home watching Oprah and eating chips. Putting a bit of make-up on can make a huge difference in how you feel about yourself, and for some people it's a big part of their personal presentation. I think it's nice Smile

wednesday wrote:WOW! So you can wear that stuff on it's own, sort of thing, and it just evens everything out?

Yesss! You can put a little bit on for a nice glow, or heaps and it sort of covers everything like a foundation. But a little bit is usually enough. Over here it's $49 for two compacts, and they last for ages. Also a good finishing powder if you're wearing actual foundation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum